Three German Bachelor’s Cabin
This cabin sits at the corner of Main Street and the end of the Talkeetna Spur Road. It also holds the “Welcome to Beautiful Downtown Talkeetna” sign. It was built in 1934 by two German immigrant brothers and their cousin. All three were bachelors – they mined for gold in summer and ran traplines for fur in winter. One, Frank Moennikes, would stay in Talkeetna until his death in 1975. The other two would go back to Germany after World War II.
The cabin has had many residents over the years and there are many stories. The owner in the 1970s donated it to the Talkeetna Historical Society. The cabin itself has had additions but most recently received a stabilization and restoration grant that allowed a remaining addition to be removed and a new foundation to stabilize the building.